Ailsa was looking for a vegetarian recipe that would delight her vegetarian friends. Her University friend Deri, the Ethical Chef himself, came to her assistance. He taught her the ways of cooking the hearty and nourishing Sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry. This is the recipe she shared with me…
When I arrive cooking has already begun: vegetables, chickpeas, herbs and spices are eagerly bubbling in the pot, selflessly releasing all the goodness they have. They will become a part of something greater. In the meantime, Ailsa and I talk life in Splott. I share my knowledge of community groups and events, places to shop and eat out, locals with some stories to tell. Our lively chat is frequently intercepted by Ailsa’s sizeable and eager dog getting concerned about nearby wandering cats or smells coming out of that very red pot.
1 red onion
2 large sweet potatoes, diced
1 tin of chickpeas, washed and drained
a handful of fresh baby plum tomatoes
small stub (1.5inch) of fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic
100g fresh spinach
2 small chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne chilli pepper
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 pints vegetable stock
1/2 lemon juice
1. Fry off the chopped onions, garlic, ginger, chillies, spices in oil.
2. Add the chickpeas togethre with vegetable stock.
3. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and stir.
4. Add spinach, tomatoes and stir.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add 1/2 a lemon juice and fresh coriander to finish.