In light of Angharad
People’s stories often intertwine in the most unexpected ways, and so it was with the story of Angharad, a fair Welsh woman walking in the footsteps of photographer Tom Mathias.
Mathias was from West Wales, and with his camera he documented much of the daily life in Cilgerran where he lived. In 2015, Angharard organised an event in Cilgerran called ‘In light of Tom Mathias’, breathing life back into those moments captured in Mathias’s camera almost a century before.
And now Angharad has become part of my photographic story, as I search through the daily life of Adamsdown, looking for people and their recipes. It was Angharad who introduced me to some of Adamsdown’s older residents, people who she meets with friendliness and cheer – as she does with everyone, making everyone feel at home even those from far away lands. These recipes she’s shared with me were taught to her by her forefathers.
Glamorgan sausages. You can fry them in the pan or cook in the oven for a slightly healthier option. It will also be more evenly cooked and less burnt.
1. 25g butter
2. 2 leeks, sliced in circles
3. 175g breadcrumbs
4. 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
5. 150g grated Caerphilly cheese
6. 2 free range eggs.
7. 100ml milk
8. 1 tsp mustard
9. a pinch of salt and black pepper.
1. Melt butter, add the leeks and fry them until golden.
2. Then add them to a big bowl together with 125g of breadcrumbs, parsley, cheese, milk and mustard. Mix it all.
3. In a separate plate break the eggs. Put the remaining breadcrumbs onto a separate plate. Shape the main mixture into sausages, role them on eggs and the remaining breadcrumbs. Put the pan on heat and let the oil start to sizzle. Then put the sausages and fry them for 3-5 minutes.
Sweetcorn fritters. This recipe requires some extra spices, but the rest of the ingredients are just potatoes, sweetcorn, eggs and onions.
1. 4 medium potatoes
2. 1 garlic clove, minced
3. 1 onion
4. 200 g sweetcorn
5. 2 eggs
6. 1 tsp paprika
7. 1 tsp ground corriander
8. 1/2 tsp tumeric
9. 1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Boil potatoes. Then mash them in a bowl.
2. Slice the onion, fry it in the pan with garlic and add it to potatoes.
3. Mix the eggs and add it to potatoes.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix them all.
5. Put the pan on heat, add oil and let it heat up. Make pancakes out of the mixture and add them to the sizzling oil. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each size.